Welcome to the School Governors’ section of the website. We hope these pages will provide some insight into who we are and what we do.
Who we are
The governing body comprises teachers and other staff, parents, members of the community and local authority representatives. Most governors serve fixed terms.
From time to time vacancies arise. If you are interested in becoming a school governor, please contact the head teacher for more information.
What we do
School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors appoint the head teacher and other staff. Governors hold the main responsibility for finance in schools. They work closely with the head teacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
Each governor sits on one or more committees as well as the full governing body; each committee is concerned with a different aspect of running the school. The committees are:-
- The Steering Committee (responsible for setting the committees’ agendas)
- The Resources Committee (concerned with matters relating to finance, staffing and premises)
- The Curriculum and Standards Committee (concerned with learning and achievement, and matters relating to the curriculum)
- The Pay Committee (responsible for staff performance appraisal and remuneration)
- The Joint Committee (discussing matters of common interest with governors from the Infant School)
- The Head Teacher’s Performance Committee (responsible for the head teacher’s performance appraisal)
How often we meet
Each committee, plus the full governing body, meets once a term.
The full governing body meetings are open to observers, so you’re very welcome to attend to see at first hand what we do. You can read the minutes of our previous meetings here…
INSTRUMENT OF GOVERNMENT
- The name of the school is Nevill Road Junior School
- The school is a community school.
- The name of the governing body is "The governing body of Nevill Road Junior School”
- The governing body shall consist of [i] Two parent governors, One LA governor, One staff governor, One headteacher, Nine co-opted governor, Total number of governors: Fourteen
- The term of office for all categories of governor will be four years
- This instrument of government comes into effect on 30th March 2015.
- This instrument was made by order of Stockport Local Authority on 5th June 2015